Akuna Capital is an innovative trading firm with a strong focus on collaboration, cutting-edge technology, data driven solutions and automation. We specialise in providing liquidity as an options market maker – meaning we are committed to providing competitive quotes that we are willing to both buy and sell. To do this successfully we design and implement our own low latency technologies, trading strategies and mathematical models. At Akuna we have a flat structure, where the best idea wins.
Our Founding Partners, including our CEO Andrew Killion, first conceptualised Akuna in their hometown of Sydney. They opened our first office in 2011 in Chicago, the heart of the derivatives & options industry. Akuna then expanded to Sydney in 2018 to be the centre of our Asian trading operations. We are currently trading HK, Korea, cryptocurrencies and US night markets and are excited for expansions into all the major Asian exchanges. We also have offices in Shanghai and Boston.
At Akuna, we believe that the people are the centre of everything we do. Our Sydney office has a start-up feel with around 100 people, which means you really get to know the team! We run social poker competitions, office happy hours, have a fully stacked breakfast and snack room, host social events, go on company trips, have social clubs, and offer great training with our Akuna University. We are expanding rapidly and looking for the best talent to join us on this journey. If you enjoy being part of smart, driven teams with real challenges to solve- this could be the place for you!
What you’ll do as a Graduate Trader at Akuna:
Our traders are bright, maths-savvy, competitive, and ambitious! Joining us as a graduate trader, we don’t need you to have any finance or trading experience. What we are looking for is grit and a strong desire to learn in a fast-paced environment. We are looking for potential, a desire to compete and people who want to make an immediate impact in our growing firm. We value strong mental maths, great communication, and a passion for problem solving and finding creative solutions.
Start dates: January 2022 & August 2022
Training: You will begin with our 6-week Akuna Training Program, with lectures, projects, mock trading games and job shadowing. We will teach you all about market making, financial acumen, Options Greeks, risk management, our systems and of course - lots more. You will then rotate between desks within options, delta 1, currency and wholesale trader areas to find your best fit.
Full-time compensation packages starting at $100K AUD.
Requirements for this role:
- Australian or NZ citizen or Australian Permanent residences only
- University Degree, graduating before August 2022 and within the last 3 years
- Quick mental maths, pattern recognition, and quantitative analytical skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Desire to learn about financial markets and economic theories
- Risk appetite & ability to work well under pressure in a fast paced, team environment
Qualities that make great candidates:
- Bachelor, Honours, Masters or PhDs in Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Actuarial Science, Economics or related degrees
- Distinction Average or proven strong academics
- Awards, prizes, medals, competitions, & scholarships
- Achievements outside of studies through your hobbies & interests
- Work experience that enhanced your communication, problem solving, analytical, and teamwork skills
Do you have strong Quantitative skills?
We hire Junior Quantitative Traders & Researchers that need to have both Maths & Coding skills, so if you have these skills, our Quant team might be the best fit!
- Programming skills in Python or C++ is a must
- Studies or projects in Data analytic, Big Data, Machine Learning, or related fields